Monday, August 29, 2011

Yes, I Grew That...

One of the sisters I used to visit teach had a mother, sister Alred, with an AMAZING garden.  Sarah Lynn and I would peak through her fence to see all the beautiful things she grew.  In August, sister Alred grew these huge plate size hibiscuses.  I had never seen anything like them.  My mom seems to use the same type of flowers, and never had this type in her garden.  So...when shopping for flowers back last spring I bough two, very small, hibiscus plants.  I really didn't think anything would come of them.

Lo and behold, August has rolled around and look what I have...



Its hard to tell from the pictures, but literally, these blossoms are the size of a dinner plate.  They are huge.  Each blossom only lasts about a day, so I got Micah outside early one morning to show him.  I was so proud of myself.  I cannot wait for next year when the plants will be much more full.

Sadly, I have been cutting out much of my garden already.  Usually I would wait until the end of September, but...I have a little man making his appearance then;)  My wonderful husband has gone out with me a couple times, helping me clean out one flower bed at a time.  Its already made a huge difference on how much time I spend watering.  Halloween might start early this year.  My plan is to decorate the outside with my pumpkins and stuff in the next week or two so I won't have to worry about it when the baby comes.



2 comments:

anya said...

you are so on top of it dang it! love those hibiscus! they look huge!!!!

Annie said...

Those blossoms are so beautiful!!! I am jealous!