Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Week of Horror...

Okay, last week wasn't really terror filled, but I did cry...a lot.  And, yes, I am very pregnant, so that could have been part of it.  It was one of those weeks were everything seemed to go wrong.  Monday and Tuesday seemed to be okay.  I spent time helping Allie finish the production side of her Swiss Day's Booth, but when Wednesday came, everything changed.

I knew it was going to be a bad day at about 4:30 am.  I woke up and realized that my sprinklers weren't on.  When I checked on the box, the box had no power.  I tried flipping the braker to no avail.  I decided there was nothing I could do about it then, and I had a big day ahead of me.  I went off to the gym, watered my flowers, cleaned the floors, and showered by 9am so I could head out to my doctor's appointment.  Of course something else had to go wrong.  My blow dryer broke.  Crap.  On the way to my appointment, I called my dad for some electricity advise.  After my doctor's appointment, I had to go spend almost a hundred dollars on a stupid tv part (that part made me sick too).  My dad met me at my house and helped me determine our electricity problem needed an electrician.  Fantastic.  Luckily, my dad's neighbor, Andy, came up to my house about 2pm to see if he could fix the issue.  3 HOURS LATER we still knew nothing.  NOTHING!  We were still at square one, and Andy was needed on a job in Colorado and would be leaving the next morning.  Micah made some calls as I sat crying, and he eventually found someone to come at take a look on Thursday morning.

Thursday morning, Ross showed up and spent ANOTHER 3 HOURS and again found nothing.  At this point he said he was going to start cutting into a wall to discover what the problem was.  I let him have at it, and ran to Costco.  When I returned, I returned to a wall that looked like a piece of swiss cheese.  The wall was in Sarah and Chad's basement apartment.  I just sat on their couch and tried insanely hard not to cry and asked him what he had accomplished.  At this point he said he still hadn't found the problem, and tomorrow he would cut into the walls of the baby's room and Sarah and Chad's master bedroom to see if he could find the problem.  He thought he could get power restored in a couple days and then would work on fixing the drywall.  I was stunned, envisioning swiss cheese looking walls throughout my house.  I also saw dollar signs.  How much was this going to cost???  Plus, poor Sarah and Chad!  It was too much to bare.  Luckily, my dad came over.  When he saw what was going on, my dad pulled me aside and said we need to take a new approach.  At this point, I started crying again.  Even worse then the day before.

Friday morning, my dad had lined up Dale, an electrician that helps my dad out, to come to my house.  I really like Dale, but he is hard to get ahold of because he has a small drinking problem.  My dad and I waited on my front porch for about 45 min for Dale.  I started thinking there was no way he was going to show up, but he did.  He might have smelled like alcohol at 10:30 in the morning, but he was still on top of his game. In about 20 minutes Dale had found the problem.  After making fun of my swiss cheese wall, Dale did give me comfort in saying that Ross was actually very close to solving the problem...and they would have needed to cut into the wall to fix the problem.  (However, Dale said he would have only needed 3 holes and would have gone through the base boards.  Oh well.  You live and you learn.)

I meant to take a picture of the wall with all the holes, but I never did.  I did take this picture with the sheetrock put back in and some of the mudding done.  It doesn't have the same effect, but at least I can remember it.  Oh the horror...
This is 7 of the 12 holes.  9 of the holes were unnecessary.  Don't feel bad for me.  Feel bad for Sarah and Chad who have had to endure this.


By Saturday, the crying had mostly stopped.  I blame it on being pregnant.  I learned a couple lessons.  1. Call Dale with all electrical problems, and even if it takes him a day to show up, its worth it.  2. I have an amazing husband. I already knew this, but again I was reminded.  Micah stayed home from work on Thursday morning and came home early.  He rubbed my feet and took care of Beckham.  I honestly don't know what I would do without him.

The horrible week is now over.  I feel like nothing was accomplished.  Allie did finish the production side of swiss days, which is good.  Next week will be another big week as we prepare for Swiss Days, but in one week from today...it will all be over!



No comments: