Honestly, it really wasn't a big deal. I can't say I wasn't nervous, because I was. I was/am scared about the recovery. (More on that later.) However, I have a great doctor, and we caught it super early. For those of you that don't know a lot about skin cancer. There are various kinds (basal cell, squamous, and melanoma). People have moles biopsies all the time. Sometimes they will go back and cut more out if the cells are a-typical. (Meaning the cell might turn into cancer.) Melanoma is the least common, but also the most serious kind. It is also the most deadly kind, if it is not caught early. If it is caught early, it can be 100% curable. Mine was caught super duper early with my super-cancer-spotting-eyes.
Would you like to see the mole before the biopsy...
The biggest indicator for me is the different colors found in the mole. My suggestion to all of you...learn the ABC's of skin cancer.
Now...the next picture is pretty gross, so don't look if you are squeamish. This is what my leg looked like right before the surgery. They gave me a local, which is why my skin looks so white in areas. The purple pen indicates the area they cut out...
Looks like a freaky eye, right? The size also looks kinda distorted. It was about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. (Almost 1/3rd less then my last cut.)
The gross stuff is over. I haven't seen my leg since the previous picture. Its all stitched, bandaged, and wrapped up tight. I can tell my leg is swelling; however the pain has not been unbearable. The worst part of this experience is my limited range of motion. That was my biggest question for the doctor. Really my only question. "CAN I RUN?" Nope. I asked the question a variety of different ways. "Can I run, can I jump, can I do an elipitical." Crap. I love to work out. He said I need to take it easy, which is honestly very hard for me to do. Then add on top of it I have a 21 month old and its Christmas time. Plus, it there are goodies everywhere for me to eat. Such is life.
For those of you that are concerned about Beckham, please don't be. He is happy as a clam. He spent the afternoon with my dad. We should call him "Party Papa" because life with him is a party. My dad took Beckham swimming while I had my surgery. My mom told me later she had found the bag my dad had backed to take Beckham swimming. No swim diaper and no plastic pants. All she found was this...
Yes. That is Jordan's swimsuit from 1986. It size reads 0-6 months. I knew the picture would be a little distorted so I put a swim diaper next to it, so you can see the actual size. Yep, pretty sure my little boy would have been falling out all over the place. I have to say though, what an awesome dad I have that tries so hard. He loves being a grandpa...so please don't worry about Beckham. He is great, and I am too. Or I will be when I get my range of motion back:)
7 comments:
How you feeling now that the local is all worn off? My toes killed! Can I take Beck this week? PPPLLLLEEEEAAASEEEE!
I am so happy that you caught it so early and that the surgery went well. That is hilarious about the swimsuit :)
I'm so glad the scary part is over. I hope the recovery is super fast and super easy! What a lucky kid that little Beckham is... so many people who love him! (including me!)
So glad everything went well! That is so scary. Hope you're back running soon!
Can you do my blog?? Holy crap it is so cute.
I am the worst friend ever for forgetting on the actual surgery day. I am so sorry and I hope you will forgive me! I am so glad you are doing better!
Been thinking of you! Gald it all went well. Big bummer about running. When do you get your stiches out? How long is the recovery?
Post a Comment