Monday, May 17, 2010

She Runs For Life...

Fourteen years and forty nine marathons brought us to Saturday, May 15, 2010. This day, was the day my mom was going to finish her big audacious goal of completing 50 under 50. (For those of you who do not know, this means fifty marathons before she turned 50 years old.) My mom set this goal four years ago. I have, and still kinda, think she is crazy. Though, I must say that I am incredible proud of my mother. Do you know how strong you have to be physically and mentally to finish even one? There is an incredible amount of planning and preparation that goes into each marathon, and my mom has done it 50 times!!! On top of it, my mom has done it under incredible circumstances. Times when the unthinkable has happened. Times when she did it six times in a three month period. I am so proud of her. I love her so much. And it is because of her, I have made it my own personal goal to never run one. Ha, ha. But, onto the day...

The day started extremely early for everyone in my family. The runners had to be up at 3am while Micah and I got to sleep until 6am. Micah and I drove up to Ogden and just missed watching my dad, Lindsey, and Steve finish the 1/2 marathon. So sad:( (Jordan was suppose to run, but didn't due to a foot injury.) We had a couple hours to burn, so we headed over to the Mariott Hotel for some to shower and for some to eat breakfast...

It was so nice having Allie and Easton here for a couple days. Hopefully you know everyone at the table. In the back, with the cute short hair, is my cousin Steph and her boy Cameron. (I don't know where her daughter Addie is in the picture, but she was there too.)


After, we headed over to the race. It was nice and warm. We had an incredibly hard time trying to decide where to cheer my mom on. We finally landed on the bleachers and cheered on the runners. Beckham had a great seat.


Easton was cruising, while the others tried to contain him. Looks like Uncle Jord caught him. (Isn't the tan body and bright blonde hair crazy? PS. I think he looks so much like Creigh did when they were the same age.)


We finally caught a glimpse of my mom coming down the street! She had a whole heard with her. Starting on the far left is my cousin Anthony (more on him later), my mom, my dad, and finally Allie. See, Allie had been planning on running the marathon with my mom, but in March Allie had an injury and has not been able to run. In her place, my cousin Anthony ran with my mom.


This is an awkward picture. My mom was raising her hands up to cheer, but we caught her at a bad angle. Don't you love how she always wears the brights clothes to run in? All the better to find her in a crowd.


Crossing the finish line.


After the marathon, we had the daunting task of trying to find my mom. (The Ogden marathon is not very stroller friendly.) We finally found her next to all the media cameras. (That media hog, Wendy, LOL.) Here is a picture of my sweet sister and my hot husband.


With the day, well underway, the little boys were tuckered out. I couldn't help snapping pictures of the sweethearts sleeping. This is of Cameron, Anthony and Stephs little one.


This doll, is my own. (I know I have been horrible about taking tons of pictures of him lately. I will try and be better.) Isn't he the best thing you have ever seen?


Anthony and My mom. Okay, a few words on my AMAZING cousin. Allie didn't give Anthony a lot of notice to run the marathon. Anthony only went out on four runs before he ran the marathon! Are you kidding me? While my mom is running, she usually calls with updates. This time, Anthony would call. He was so cute, he was always saying, "Wendy is kicking butt. We are doing just great. Everything is going very well." When according to my mom yelling in the background, things were not that great. Not many people could do this, but Anthony did this with an amazing attitude. He is just the BEST!!! (So is his wife, BTW.)


So ended the first part of our big day. One more picture of my handsome little sleeping angel.




1 comment:

the johansen's said...

If I were your Mom, I would have been raising my arms to cheer! AMAZING! She makes my 3 mile max look weak.