Friday, my parent's had a pool party at their house. My mother's whole side was over. Lots and lots of people and lots and lots of food. Earlier in the day, Allie and I took the boys to "Papa's Place" for swimming. About three hours worth. The boys were back in my parent's pool by 4pm. (These boys are such fish!) Beckham and Easton are always in life jackets. They don't mind them at all. In fact, I think they like them. Around 7pm, Micah and I finally forced Beckham out of the pool to eat. After a few bits, he was off jumping on the tramp with his cousins.
The next moments are frozen in my mind. Do you have any of those? Moments that when you think of them, you remember every little detail? Its like its permanently etched in your brain. The slightest looks and smells. You just can vividly remember them. I could tell you everything about the morning I found out about Que. I could tell you everything about the night Beckham was born. This was one of those moments...
The next thing I remember was Micah screaming, "Is that my kid?" He said it over and over in this terrified voice that I had heard only once before. Micah moved faster then I have ever seen him move. It took several moments for me to realize what was going on. At the far end of the pool, two of my cousins were lifting a small, lifeless child out of the water. It then registered that they were lifting out Beckham. By the time I reached him, he was unconscious, but coughing up water. His lips were blue and he had foam around the mouth. Finally, Beckham slowly opened his eyes. As people yelled whether or not to call 911, I said...NO. (Honestly, I have horrible memories of police and fire trucks in my parent's circle. I couldn't handle it. Plus, although they respond in a few minutes...time moves so slowly.) My parent's next door neighbor was head of the IMC ER. I felt this strong feeling, I need to get Beckham to him before I called 911. My dad ran ahead of Micah and I. I held Beckham so close against my chest, pleading with him to be okay, and in my heart I felt this overwhelming feeling it would be okay. As we walked/ran over to the Barnes, slowly, Beckham would open his eyes and respond. He knew I had him, and he wanted me to hold him tight. Dr. Barnes took a good look at Beckham, listening to his lungs and heart and really felt like Beckham was going to be okay. We just needed to watch him for the next 1/2 hour. A 1/2 hour later, Beckham was talking about Darth Vader and Papa's Place.
I have to say, I think Micah and I are scarred more then Beckham. We definitely did not sleep that night, and I don't think Micah will ever take an eye off of him. Beckham is a miracle. Our miracle. And he was sent to this Earth for a reason. Late on Friday, Micah and my dad gave Beckham a blessing. It was incredibly touching, because Beckham IS meant to bring so much into this world, and his work is not done.
The next day, Beckham had his first swimming lesson by my cute cousin Courtney. Beckham was more scared of the water then I thought, but within 15 min, he was jumping off diving board. Back to normal. ..
(Beckham trying to float.)
(Big arms.)
So, Beckham is completely fine, happy, normal...but Micah and I, any my parent's and LOTS of family learned a valuable lesson. Life is fragile and you can never be to careful.

4 comments:
so grateful Beck is ok. so grateful you and M are ok. thank the heavens.
oh I still cannot get that out of my mind. i'm so glad he is doing great! lots of love xoxo
We love you guys! :)
That is horrifying. I am so happy to hear he is ok.
Post a Comment