Friday, July 22, 2011

Burn, Baby, Burn...

Monday night about 6:45 Beckham got hurt again... (Am I a bad mother?)  I was exhausted and making Beckham Mac N Cheese.  It was finally done which Micah walked in.  As we got talking, Beckham decided that he couldn't wait another minute for his noodles and climbed on the counter.  We have a flat glass stove and although it was off, it was still warm.  In an instant Beckham was screaming.  We realized he must have burnt himself, and all we could get out of him was that it was somewhere on his hand.  He was really unconsolable for hours.  Literally, we could not get him to calm down.  We got out our first aid kit, we read online what to do, we called lots of resources...but nothing helped.  We went back and forth on whether to run him to insta-care, but we couldn't see any damage.  It just looked like a first degree burn.  So, Micah and my dad gave him a blessing.  My mom was finally able to coax some tylonel in him, and after about 4 hours later, we finally got him to start breathing normally.  It was awful.  I wondered if we would be traumatized the rest of his life.

After a restless night, Beckham finally woke up and said..."good morning, mommy."  It was as nothing had happened.  I finally got a good look at his hand.  We really didn't know where he was burned, and sadly...it was his whole palm and finger tips.  It looks much better today, but it is still so sad.  Last night, while cleaning the stove I saw his little hand print on the stove.  It broke my heart.  If only I could protect my little man from all the little things that hurt.



4 comments:

anya said...

so glad that in the end... he's okay.

Melyn said...

That is so sad, I'm sorry! Run a burn under cool water (not cold) and put some type of burn cream on it with bandaids, never lotion. Tylenol is a great idea.

driftwood13@gmail.com said...

Anth was about 1 year when something like that happened to him. He touched the over door when it was open. Burned his whole little hand. We put a little sock on his hand for about a week. This is not a fun experince. Sorry about that, I understand how you feel. It will all be okay..

The Wood Family said...

You're not a bad mom! Oh but I hate those bad times! I'm glad he seems okay.