Friday, July 15, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow...

This post is really for me, so basically it means it might bore you.

I was excited that the baby was coming in the fall, so I could still spend lots of time in my yard.   Honestly, I am surprised at how much time I spent in my yard.  Probably the most ever.  I made a lot of changes.  My mom planted some great bushes and such 7 years ago, but now many of them were over grown.  Many I hated trimming because they were so prickly.  There were things about my yard that I really hated, so this year I decided to do something about those things.  This meant lots of digging out bushes and moving things around.

Here are some of my favorite additions:

LOVE this Japanese Peony.  I love peonies in general, but I have a hard time growing the.  This year, I really found where they actually worked in my yard.  I bought this peony in yellow because yellow reminds me of Que and I wanted to have some place in my yard that reminded me of my brother.  Isn't it so pretty?


Last year I planted three poppies.  Only one survived.  Apparently, my husband mistook them for weeds.  Too bad, because the one that did survive looked so pretty this year...


I also discovered that I really like trees.  They don't have the maintenance of some of the bushes I had.  So... I bought FIVE new trees this year.  The best part is that I got to pick the trees out.  I have learned over time what I do and what I do not like in trees.  I don't like fruit trees, because I don't like to pick up rotten fruit.  I also HATE trees with small little leaves.  They might look nice, but I don't like picking up the leaves twice a year, and I do not like the pollen it drops in June.  I do like maple trees.  I am hoping I can keep them alive until next year...
 This is a lace leaf maple.  I was pretty excited about this tree.  When I showed Allie she said, "Is that it?"  Yes it is, but it will get bigger.

Another lace leaf maple in red...


I really LOVED this next tree.  Its hard to get the full effect in a picture, but it reminds me of my love, Micah...

Regular maple in green...


And regular maple in red...
Micah and I were pretty excited about this tree, because it replaced a muy feo bush that we both have detested.

I love to go out in my garden everyday and see the changes.  August will bring more blooms on my hydrangeas and hibiscus.  Allie thinks I am crazy, but thats okay.  I think she is crazy for cooking food all the time;)


3 comments:

The Evers Family said...

Yeah, you're crazy but you're welcome to come garden at my house while I make food.

Melyn said...

Muy feo haha! Love the peonys :)

anya said...

i love how your yellow peony is blooming! such a great addition to your backyard!!!

I need help weeding... wanna come over?! HA! We do need to talk weeds tho. Do you use Preen? The weeds are out of control in our backyard. It has got to end!