Towards the end of the visit we started to talk about different testing options. With Micah's problem, there was a high concern of the baby's chromosomes or DNA being effected. Micah and I discussed whether we wanted to know if the baby had problems...and we really wanted to know. Not that it would change the fact of whether or not I would carry the baby. Its just, in talking with my doctor, I wanted the day our baby come (and the following days) to be HAPPY days. I don't want to be on pins and needles waiting for tests or hoping there isn't any complications. When you find out your child has problems, I think there has to be a grieving period when you realize all the dreams, whether they be simple or large, for your child are not going to happen. You always picture your baby being perfect. Micah's sister was born with down syndrome, and his mom did not know until Danielle was born. Now, Kathie works at the IMC as advocate to parents with children who are born with problems like down syndrome. For Micah and I, we just wanted to know.
Its interesting though, because everyone has different opinions on the subject. I know my sister wouldn't want to know and I think a lot of people are like that. This was just Micah and I's decision.
So, our next step was setting up our appointment with fetal medicine and meeting with a genetic counselor. The first visit was a couple of weeks away, but I had so many questions. Several times, I tried to move up my appointment...but to no avail. So...I started researching Micah's problem on the internet. I knew what his problem was but I had an extremely hard time finding out how it affected children that are conceived. So, I researched all the testing options that were available and decided that I wanted to CVS.
The day I went in for my test and initial meeting I was so nervous, but ready. I just wanted to know. I didn't want to tell the rest of our friends and family until I understood what was ahead of me. First they did another ultrasound to date my pregnancy. By this time I was 12 weeks and just wanted to make sure my baby had a heart beat...and it did! I watched on the monitor as my baby moved all over the place. In fact, the baby was moving so much they had a hard time measuring the fluid on the back of the baby's neck.
When the genetic counselor came in and I explained all of my concerns and waited for her to answer all of my questions...but she just kind of looked at me. Dumbfounded. As if I had made everything up. She had never heard of what Micah had. Fantastic. As they got everything ready for the CVS test, she went and got her superior who came to see if he could answer my questions. Again, I stumped him. So...this man went a did some fast research and came with a few answers... Micah's problem was with infertility...(Yes, I knew this)... and there hasn't been any research done on children born from this problem, because...well, it just doesn't happen. GREAT! Another long story short, we decided only to move forward with the quad screening and not the CVS until we had the blood test back. The doctor felt like it wasn't necessary unless he saw reasoning for a potential problem...so over to the blood lab.
I was nervous, but just wanted to know. The next day, I went in for my 12 week appointment with Dr. Brown. The first thing she did was come in and show me this computer screen. I had no idea what it was. But...she already had my test results back!!! The results were the best they could be. I just started crying, and she hugged me over and over. For the first time since I found out I was pregnant I felt I could breathe a little. I felt like maybe everything was going to be okay. I was on cloud 9.
The following day the genetic counselor called. She had spoken with the specialists up at the U and had good news. It was hard to gather candidates to do testing on the results of babies born from this problem because its like 1 in 10 million. From what they know, its a fluke when it happens and must of come from one good sperm. There is a small chance that the DNA may have compromised, but it was unlikely the chromosomes would have been effected.
For now, we still have some more tests to do, but I feel really good. I feel so much better. And I realize there are still chances that there might be problems, but for now our baby looks great...and I couldn't be happier!
2 comments:
i think a part of me is still in shock. 1 in 10 million. TEN MILLION!!! This whole thing is... well it's amazing. I am CRAZY FREAKING excited.
Such GREAT news! So, so happy right now! :)
Post a Comment