Friday, December 16, 2011

Come Pile in My...

MINI VAN!

So...for a long time I have felt pretty squished in my car.  It was a small SUV, but I LOVED it.  A month before Graham was born, I realized my car wasn't going to cut it, but Micah deserved a new car before I did.  Micah came up with this great idea to get a bigger car for me and he would drive our beloved RDX.  Great. I love Acura's.  My dream car was a MDX and it would be perfect... except, I kept having second thoughts...

I realized a few things.
1. I can't drive a big car like Tahoe or Suburban.  It was too much like driving a bus.
2. I wanted a car that I could fit into garage.
3. I wanted to be able to take my nephews and sister in my car, which meant a third row...but I didn't want the third row to be squished.
4. I carry a lot of things around, so I wanted a big trunk.

Hum...most of these desires only fit into one category...a mini van.  For the last 15 years I have vowed never ever ever to ever ever drive a van.  I hate mini vans.  My mom drove a mini van.  They are awful.  They look horrible.  But...Allie had a mini van, and I liked driving it.  I loved that we could all go together somewhere.  I loved that I could get in the second or third row to strap the kids in.  I love that there was space in the trunk when the third row was up.

So...I started doing research...I asked lots of questions and test drove lots of cars.  I LOVED the MDX.  It was awesome, but I knew it lacked a few of my requirements.  One day, Allie and I went and drove the Honda Oddessey.  It was the ugliest mini van ever.  Literally, like two cars smooched together.  However...the inside was everything I could have ever wanted!  It has a little fridge/cool box to put water in.  It has a DVD player that plays two movies.  It has household plugs.  It has a garbage can!  And the best part...Honda and Acura are linked and every feature was just like the MDX.

My cute cousin Gina put the nail in the coffin tho.  We have very similar tastes.  She drove a Volvo and she loved it, but had the same issues that I had.  She was about to have her fourth child so she started looking into a mini van, ended up getting the Oddessey, and LOVES IT.  Her favorite part?  You can open the doors with a push of the key.  You can take your kids to school, push a button to open the car door, and your child can get out on their own, and then you push the button and the door closes!  You never have to get out of your seat!  You don't even have to wear pants, and no one would know! (Haha) SOLD!

So, Micah and I purchased our first van...and I LOVE IT.  Say what you want, but I am happy.


My in my new van...


The layout reminds me so much of my RDX...


One of my favorite features.  My mini fridge...




3 comments:

anya said...

you were right. it's so ugly. but i am glad you are happy! ;) xoxoxo. still waiting for my joy ride to discuss all of the justification for this purchase!

Lynden and Lyndsay said...

i too have always been against being a mini van owner...until i saw yours!

The Evers Family said...

I LOVE your van. LOVE. Oh, and I so can't wait for you to drive to school and drop off Beck with no pants.