Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Gardener In Me

I’m becoming my mom!!!  I cannot believe it.  While I was growing up I HATED gardening.  Everyday Allie and I were given the job of watering and deadheading geraniums.  I dreaded it!  I couldn't wait until I had my own house and I would never put any flowers anywhere.  But…the first year we bought our house I asked my mom to help me plant shrubs and a couple perennials.  I wanted very low maintenance.  My mom did a good job, but sadly I did kill some of the plants.  Oh well. 

When Beck was born I really wanted to domesticate myself.  It really has not been going too well.  I have done a bunch of cleaning and decorating, but I am still not up to cooking.  So…I decided I would try and tackle gardening first.   In May I began my attempt, and I am loving it!  I usually garden in the morning.  I either take Beck outside in his stroller or put him to sleep and take the monitor outside.  I also put on a sweet outfit that usually consists of black shorts and a black shirt.  I also bought an amazing pair of blue Wellington boots.  They are awesome for gardening.  They look awful, but they work great!  All and all I look incredible and away I go. 

After all of my hard work I am waiting to reap the rewards.  A few of the flowers I planted last year are starting to grow back.  I have planted some new ones that seem to be doing well.  (I even planted some geraniums!)

Take a further look at my domestication… 


I have two favorite flowers, and peonies are one of them.  My mom has hundreds of them in her yard, and I just love them.  Last year my mom helped me plant some young peonies in my yard. I didn't kill them which is a plus, but it can take a year or two until they have multiple blooms.  This year I bought a little bit more mature Peonie.  This is the result.  Isn't it gorgeous?


My other favorite flower is Hydrangeas.  I just love all the colors and the beautiful blooms.  This is a new planet.  When I bought this I didn't know it was going to be purple.  Some of the Hydrangeas I planted last year are still trying to grow back.  


Blue Hydrangea


My family loves Calla Lilies.  I think Allie, Melyn, and I all had them in our wedding bouquets.

Well that's it for now for my garden.  I will try and keep you updated.



1 comment:

The Evers Family said...

I think you should take a picture of you in your sweet boots and post it. And now in your new awesome crocs.