Sunday, June 21, 2009

Working 9 to 5


I've worked for Zions Bank since October 2003.  My dad said I needed to get a "real" job and that I couldn't work at the rink anymore.  Allie's friend, Tawni, recently started working for Zions Bank, and helped me get a job in Zion's Peak Time Department.  I never thought banking would become my career.  In fact, I remember being pretty adamant that it would not be my career, but after time I fell in love.

I always knew I wanted  a career as a mom, but after waiting so long, it seemed like over night Beck was here.  I really didn't get a chance to say goodbye to Zions.  Most future mothers get 9 months to either say goodbye to her career or to decide if she wanted to return to work.  I really didn't get that chance.  I LOVED Zions Bank.  I LOVED Retail Banking, but I knew I would LOVE being a mom to Beck.  I had 12 weeks to decide what I wanted to do about work.  In early May I decided I couldn't go back to work.  It would just be too hard.  I went to talk to my friends Dustin and Dave and tell them I wouldn't be coming back to work and they convinced me otherwise. 

So...on June 8th I went back to work...on a very limited basis.  I work one day a week for about five hours.  Guess what?  I love it.  I LOVE banking.  I LOVE my new job as a teller.  It's so great!  Everyone asked me if it was hard going from manager to teller, but it is the best.  Its like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders.  I love helping people and answering questions.  I love spending time with my bank friends.  It is very hard being away from Beck.  I miss him so much.  Five hours is my limit being away from him, but I am happy with my decision.  I have to thank my friend Anya for her advise.  Anya said that she thinks working makes her a better mother because she is so excited to come home from work and she doesn't take for granted the time that she has with her child.  I totally get that now!  Thanks, Anya!   

No comments: