Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Worst Of It...

Our trip was so wonderful, I didn't want to include this post in with all the good stuff; however, every thing was not fun, sun, and Hula Pie. We were traveling with a 7 month old, and by the end of the trip it did cross our minds whether or not it was the smartest move. Beck is such an amazingly happy and calm little boy, but when he gets unhappy...he is really unhappy.

It started Thursday night/Friday morning. 2am Hawaii time. Beck had a fever. I had only brought a budget thermometer, not my handy dandy one. I cringed at the thought of taking a rectal temp, so I opted for an under the arm. (Nurses, I know this is not the right way to do things.) We stopped watching the temp. increase once it hit 101.5. What should I do? I thought of calling my resident nurse, Anya; but alas I didn't want to wake her. I called Allie because at least in Omaha it would be 7 am. (I still woke her up.) We took off all his clothes and started on regular doses of Tylenol and Motrin. He finally fell asleep. The next day the fever did die down, but now he was vomiting and had a runny nose. It was so sad. Lastly, the diarrhea started which led to a horrible diaper rash.

I packed enough diapers for seven a day. Not only did I run out of diapers, but we ended having to buy two more packs of 14! Beck's poor bum. He was miserable which made Micah and I miserable. I didn't know how to console him.

I was so worried about our plan ride home. At the airport, my parents and Micah abandoned me while they went for food and such...20+ minutes later I was in tears. I could not get Beck to stop screaming. I was so scared to get on the plane. We gave Beck Tylenol, for the pain; Butt Paste, for the diaper rash; Orajel Swaps, for his gums; and finally Benadryl to help him sleep. For the first time all day he finally fell asleep and he slept the whole plane ride! I felt like a drugged my child to death, and to make matters worse, I don't even know which helped the most! Even though, my child slept and finally woke up happy.

Today, we called the doctor since the diaper rash is getting worse. Beck just fell asleep. I hope he starts feeling better.

3 comments:

The Evers Family said...

Poor Beck! I do have to say that I really didn't feel that bad for you when you talked about your airport/plane experience. I did feel bad for you though when you called me 2 a.m. your time. I hate those nights.

anya said...

Darn it! Something always has to go wrong when you are traveling with kids.... and just so you know, you could have called. But, you did exactly what I would have done. Way to go!

Melyn said...

poor boy. you did the right thing though with the meds though! good job :)