My parents have had a trampoline for well over 15 years. No one has ever been seriously injured on it until now...and of course it happened to my son. Que's birthday fell on Sunday, and my whole family was gathered at my parent's home. All the boys were outside playing. It was nice.
Just as we were all getting in our cars to drive to the cemetery Micah noticed Beckham wasn't with Allie's boys and felt like something was wrong. As Micah headed to the back yard he heard Beckham crying, and found Beckham on the tramp with a hurt leg. All the sudden I saw Micah carrying a screaming Beckham and placing him in the car. I assumed Beckham was mad we were leaving, but as we were driving Micah told me how he thought Beckham really hurt his leg. I thought, "It can't be hurt that bad. No way its broken."
Me trying to comfort Beckham at the cemetery...
(Yes, he broke his leg wearing a Hulk costume.)
Beckham really overreacts (where does he get that from???), so we decided to wait until the next day before going to the doctor. He slept fine and walked out of his room proclaiming, "Look! I am walking! It doesn't hurt..." as he fell on the ground crying in pain. So...off the hospital we went. As Micah waited for the xrays, Beckham kept telling him it didn't hurt anymore and would stand up on both legs. In fact, the doctor didn't think it was broken. The first xray looked fine, but the second showed a nice long brake up the side. Beckham was going to need to a full leg cast for 6-8 weeks...
As I walked out of the hospital, carrying my 3 year old with a huge bandage on his leg, tears pooled in my eyes. This summer I was already having trouble with anxiety and now it was going into overload. I think I am a pretty active mom, but how am I doing to do this? My three year old can't walk for 6-8 weeks? How will he go the bathroom? How will we go anywhere? and poor poor Beckham is going to die of boredom. Luckily, I have an amazing family. My family rallied around me. We got things that Beckham could do. My family helped me with the boys. It ended up being okay...
5 days with the soft cast and I was really looking forward to the hard cast. Plus, I wanted real answers about how long Beckham was going to be in a cast. When we went to the doctors, I had one goal in mind, getting Beckham out of his cast in four weeks before school starts and we have family pictures. At first the doctor said, "full leg cast for four weeks and then a short leg cast for two more weeks." I made a sad face and the doctor said, "not what you were hoping for." I explained I didn't care how long the cast was, just that I wanted him to have it off in four weeks...with that the doctor said..."sure. Let's do a short cast for four weeks and a boot for two." AWESOME! I was thrilled. Plus, the cast was water proof. Double AWESOME...
So our life with the cripple began. After a week my back was killing me and I told Beckham, sometimes there are boys who are never able to walk, and they have to find away to get around. So will you. At that point Beckham began scooting on his bump, then crawling, then crawling super fast, and the last few days he would try and walk.
In between that time we took lots of walks. My dad would take a day off of work to take Beck to the zoo, since there was a lot Beckham could do...
One problem we did have is that Beckham completely regressed and went from never ever having any accidents to never ever going to the bathroom on the toilet. One day I went out to get the mail and came in to Graham playing in a puddle of water. Where did the water come from? Oh, its not water. Its pee! I about died!...
As soon as the cast came off, Beckham went back to going to the bathroom on the toilet. Lets just say it was a little frustrating.
I was worried about Beckham swimming with the cast. Would it be too much weight for him?? I guess not...
Finally the cast came off...
Its taken Beck a little bit to start walking normal again, but boy am I so glad the cast is off...and our lives are getting back to normal.







2 comments:
You're amazing.
AMAZING MAMA! So glad it's all over!!!
Post a Comment