I am a leisure jogger. I run to clear my head and for exercise. On the other hand, my mother is a professional runner. She runs about seven marathons a year. My mother drives me nuts about running so I made a vow to myself to NEVER run marathons like her. She lives and breathes it. She can't sleep before a big run. She is anxious all the time about a big run. She can only eat certain things. It just seemed like too much life interruption. I want to run not because I have to, but because I want to.
In April or May Allie mentioned the idea of my whole family running the Provo 1/2 Marathon. (Side note: Allie also said it was the easiest 1/2 marathon because it was all down hill.) Everyone in my family has run a 1/2 Marathon except for me. So, I decided I would do it. I am a huge family gal and I loved the idea we would all do it together. I just had one the condition, no one pushed me but myself.
Six weeks ago I started to train. I started at 6 miles and worked my way adding miles each week. After each run, I would tell myself it wasn't possible for my body to run 13 miles. I would tell everyone, "I believe angels had to carry me home because I couldn't do it." I truly believe that.
The big day of the race was finally around the corner, and I saw little pieces of my mom in me. The anxiety. Watching what I was eating. Getting up soooo early, but I thought even with all of these negatives, I could do it. I was strong. So I did it. I got up to the top of the mountain. I froze waiting for the race to start. But, I finally did it. I was going to be okay. WRONG! Lindsey decided since this was my first 1/2 marathon that she would run with me. This is really sweet, but Lindsey is SO FAST. I run about a 10-11 minute mile. Lindsey runs like a 7-8 minute mile. The whole time she ran just barely in front of me so I would have to stay with her. She said she wanted to push me. I never walked. I stopped for one drink of Gatorade. On top of it, this race was NOT downhill and my dad chickened out of running it! (Can you believe it. The two reasons I said I would do it!) At mile 4, FOUR!!! I didn't know how this was going to be possible....but....I completed the race. My time was 2:15.
Am I happy? Yes, because it is over. After it was over, everyone kept asking if I felt like I accomplished something. At this point, no. I feel as though it was the most stupid idea I have ever had. I did it and lost all the things I love about running plus I hurt all over. My mom says to give it a few days. I hope that's all it takes.
I never post pics of myself, but thought I would at this momentous occasion...ha, ha
Don't mind that the picture is completely blurry. My sleepy Micah took the pic at 4am and he was basically asleep. He had the camera on landscape mode. Smart, but I am very grateful that he woke up to take it. I am also VERY happy he came down to see me finish.
These are my running shoes. I totally designed the tongue on the shoe. One says Hope and the other Faith. Can you guess why? I hope I make it and I have faith angels will carry me if I don't.
3 comments:
You are my hero! I could NEVER, EVER run a 1/2 marathon. Never.
You powered through it! I could never do it. Congratulations!
Congrats on the finish! I think marathon runners are crazy, but it is something I would like to do in my lifetime:)
Post a Comment