Friday, January 8, 2010

Jim's Big Rockin' New Years Eve...

New Years has always been an interesting holiday in my family. Both of my parents were born on New Years. (Because of this, when I was little I believed you had to marry someone with the same birthday as you. This may explain random crushes I had, but thats another story.) When I was a tween, I spent most New Years working at the rink. It was the busiest day of the year for my dad, and it meant it usually lead to horrible birthdays for my parents.

However, as years have passed, this tradition changed. Now we celebrate my parents birthday's on New Years Eve at Jim's Big Rockin' New Years Eve party. An elaborate name for a quite evening at home. Even more quite this year because none of the Woods made it:( However, we did carry on. The night began with a New Year's Eve count down around 7:00pm. This made the little boys believe that they stayed up until midnight. We sang Happy Birthday and cut the cake. My mom makes lots of appetizers. ( She would tell you its not a meal, but I don't know of any "non meal" containing so much food.) Afterwards, we play a lovely game of NERT. Where I usually show my worst colors. (Sorry Mitch!) But there are prizes! Sometimes good prizes ($$$, gum, giftcards) and not so good prizes (fruit cake, jewelry). A fun night was had by all.

The next day, my parents wanted to go running, so the kids headed over to Murray Rec Center to swim and my parents could run around the track. I LOVE the pool there. It is so warm and such a nice facility. As Allie and the boys headed back to Omaha, my parents and Micah and I headed to the movies and to dinner. It was a great New Years Day and hopefully a Happy Birthday!

Take a look at our exciting day...


The Birthday Couple.


The boys waiting to pound on the pots and pans at "midnight."


My cute little man swimming.


His cute partner in crime.


Sorry, can't get enough of his face.


The best of friends.



2 comments:

Sarah D said...

It sounds like you guys had a great new years! We, too, celebrated early. I really liked it! I think I need to check out the murray rec center. It sounds like a ton of fun! I am sad I missed that playgroup.

anya said...

Jo... the new look is AMAZING! I LOVE, LOVE the colors and designs. Great Job!!!