When I told my dad it was classic Jim. Allie was in my parent's bedroom. My dad had just gotten out of the shower when I was talking to Allie...and my dad overheard our conversation and walks into the room wearing just a towel. It was fabulous. My dad thought I was joking at first. I was afraid he would drop the towel. Then, my dad said...just like the movie Princess Bride....You killed my father, prepare to die. My dad just keeps saying this over and over. He thought this was the coolest news he had ever heard.
We had several doctors look at Beck's hands. We decided to have a hand plastic surgeon do the surgery. He wanted to wait until Beck was a month old. The doctor said there was no bone and probably no nerves. The doctor said he would even be able to do it in his office. The bad thing about this was...my mom was going to be in Omaha when the doctor wanted to do the surgery. I didn't want Micah to come because it was going to be such a simple thing and Micah had missed so much work already. My mom had the brilliant idea to have my dad come with me. Bad idea. Both my dad and I do not do well in hospitals or doctor's offices, but I loved having my dad's support. So the three of went. Beck slept the whole time. They took us back to a little office. The doctor first gave Beck a little local anesthetic in both fingers. My dad did great during this. When the doctor asked me to put him on the table, my dad had to leave. He was too nauseated. I thought, I could do this! I cut Beck's umbilical cord. Wrong. I think the doctor thought I would want to watch. I tried to look away, but the thought made me want to pass out. I had to sit down and put my heads between my legs. Lets just say...my dad and I do not make the best hospital team. I would not recommend asking the two of us to help you with any medical situation.
As for Beck. He is such a trouper! The only time he flinched was when they did the shot. He never even moved during the rest of the surgery...and slept about 2 hours afterwards. Little Beck's hands look amazing, not that they didn't before hand. The doctor used two stitches on one hand and three on the other. The stitches are suppose to dissolve and there is hardly a trace of them left on him 10 days later. We took some pictures so when Beck is older he will have evidence of this little story we will tell him.
A picture of Beck's 6th little finger.
1 comment:
I loved reading this story! You and your dad DON'T make a great hospital team... I can see it now. Jim out in the hall and you ready to pass out in the chair. Hilarious! You should take me next time...
Post a Comment